Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Georgian Music

Here's to an awesome Georgian song--the remix of "Suliko" by Nino Katamadze. Thanks to BP and Irakli Bolkvadze's website, where I recommend you download the contemporary version of the national anthem as well:

http://www.irakli.ru/english/songs.html

http://www.irakli.ru/music/Suliko_Nino.mp3

Georgian rapper West

I was reading an interesting article about the emergence of a distinctly Georgian style of rap and hip-hop on Eurasianet.org; there is a nice photo-essay with it and a few interviews in which Shavi Prinsi and other rappers contrast their style with American rap music.

http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insight/articles/eav120806.shtml#

Also, I've found that www.inet.ge, a great site (especially if you read Georgian) has introduced me to a number of up-and-coming Georgian bands. If you want to hear contemporary and traditional Georgian music and you don't know where to begin, try the feature on the site that selects 100 random songs for you to stream. It's fast, easy and a comprehensive introduction to this nation's music. My favorites so far are folk-rockers Soft Eject and alt-rock-electro group Young Georgian Lolitaz. Both bands mostly release English-language songs, with thoughtful lyrics, refreshingly unique music (and hot accents!).

Visit the site below to hear some of YGL's best songs. I recommend most of their "Lemon Juice" album, particularly the eerily electronic "Room" and the alt-rock ballad "Hollywood." Indie music hasn't sounded this indie in a LONG time.

http://music.inet.ge/main.php?lang=en&artist=Young%26nbsp%3BGeorgian%26nbsp%3BLolitaz&aid=404

Finally, I'll recommend a great pseudo-"Georgian" song (in Russian actually, and recorded by engineer-turned-ruspop-phenom Valery Meladze and Soso Pavliashvili, who ALMOST shares a surname with notable classical composer Paliashvili--look him up) from the old Soviet-Georgian movie "Minimo" (the one about the pilot in Moscow.) You might have heard it:

"Chito Gurito, chito margarito..."

I'll try & find the mp3.

5 comments:

Vera said...

Hi, I found you on the Facebook group; if you're interested in traditional Georgian music, I made a website about women singing it with some recordings on there as well. The address is http://individual.utoronto.ca/shakti. Tell me what you think!

DevushkaAvariya/Девушка Авария said...

thanks vera!! I'll check it out :)

b.p. said...

Hehe, I can upload Chito Margarito for you. Mimino is one of my favorite films!

DevushkaAvariya/Девушка Авария said...

all right that would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog info. I’d like to subscribe to your RSS. :hispanic scholarships
You nicely summed up the issue. I would add that this doesn’t exactly concenplate often. xD Anyway, good post…